Your Inner Voice
The Importance of SupportWe are often faced with difficult decisions. Our inner voice hints to us what we should do, yet we seek the advice of others. While this isn’t bad, we must ask ourselves why we don’t trust the answers we hear in our hearts and minds... our inner voice. What causes us to doubt and not trust? Often, we are leaning on our friends, family and even support groups in search of answers. Deep down we hope their answer is what our heart and mind already knows. What if it isn’t? Imagine if they throw us a huge curve ball and you are left more confused than you were before. What if they tell you something you really didn’t want to hear?
You Asked For It… You Got It!“Mom, do you think I should get this dress or does it make me look big?” You know you look good in it, like the dress a lot and might even be able to imagine yourself wearing it, yet you are doubting yourself. Assuming everyone is an adult here, you deserve to wear whatever you want and are certainly old enough to make your own decision. Mom replies, ‘Well, it kinda buldges in the rear and your arms look bigger.” Seriously???? Ugh, now you are feeling like you are 10 and wish you had never asked. With this repeated behavior pattern, you fall into a state of depression. Every time you look in the mirror, you don’t see the beautiful you that you are, rather you can’t wait until you become beautiful.
Picking Ourselves UpAt this point you need to say to yourself STOP! Every morning before your feet hit the floor, say “I AM STRONG, I AM CONFIDENT, I AM BEAUTIFUL, I AM LOVED, I GOT THIS”! There is no need to jump on the 15 groups you belong to on Facebook to reassure yourself. The minute that you do, you will have 300 different opinions that drive you insane. We all have people in our lives we know and trust. Seek their advice and use them as a sounding board. You will gain from their wisdom. Know that YOU matter. YOU are important. Focus on YOU each day. For some that could be prayer, others exercise, reading or picking up a new hobby. Communicate with your spouse or loved ones on how you feel. Let them into your world. Allow yourself to feel their love. You deserve to feel love every day. You can’t make your spouse, kids, family, friends and even co-workers happy until you are happy. When your spirit is filled with love, others will feel your spirit. "Positivity Pledge: I shall no longer allow negative thoughts or feelings drain me of my energy. Instead I shall focus on all the good that is in my life. I will think it, feel it and speak it. By doing so I will send out vibes of positive energy into the world and I shall be grateful for all the wonderful things it will attract into my life." Peace, Dawn Hurlebaus, President & CEO Slimpressions
Slimpressions Shapewear for Women Mom of the Year Award goes to ....
Slimpressions is excited to announce their 1st Annual Mom of the Year Award. If you've noticed by our social media posts, our mission is to help women across the globe feel confident, strong, beautiful and loved. We share positive messages daily to motivate and inspire you. Now is the time for your loved ones to tell us how you inspire them. We want to honor you! Winners will be featured on our website on Mother's Day as well as receive $100 in free shapewear! It's our way of saying THANK YOU to the amazing women you are.
Contest rules are quite simple:
- Using the entry form on this page, in 300 words or less, tell us why your mom is special.
- Deadline for submissions is Saturday, May 6th, 2017. Winners will be announced Saturday, May 13, 2017.
- Winners will be notified via email.
- There are 3 age group submissions being judged: Under 12, Age 13-17, Over 18
Slimpressions Inspiration Favorites
InspirationPeople ask me all the time, what made you buy the company Slimpressions? I nearly cried when I tried on Slimpressions shapewear products for the first time. Not only is it the best quality on the market today, but I never would have thought it would have fit me especially at 340lbs. This, along with the inspiration of a few amazing people who inspired me, I decided to begin my own weight loss journey and in the first 9 months lost over 100lbs! I knew I wanted to make a difference in women's lives. Slimpressions was a perfect fit for me and just felt like home. I wake up every morning with a deep desire to help women feel confident and beautiful, encouraging them to find their inner strength. Each day I try to find a way to inspire them just as I was inspired. We must truly love ourselves in order to find the riches of true happiness. I thought I would share a collection of positive quotes that inspire and motivate me, bringing light to my day. Looking for more reading ... read our inner voice blog Peace, Dawn Hurlebaus, President & CEO Slimpressions
- "Positivity Pledge: I shall no longer allow negative thoughts or feelings drain me of my energy. Instead I shall focus on all the good that is in my life. I will think it, feel it and speak it. By doing so I will send out vibes of positive energy into the world and I shall be grateful for all the wonderful things it will attract into my life."
- "Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11
- “Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.” – Maya Angelou
- "I will breathe. I will think of solutions. I will not let my worry control me. I will not let my stress level beat me. I will simply breathe. And it will be okay because I don't quit." - Shayne McClendon
- “I’ve come to believe that each of us has a personal calling that’s as unique as a fingerprint – and that the best way to succeed is to discover what you love and then find a way to offer it to others in the form of service, working hard, and also allowing the energy of the universe to lead you.” – Oprah Winfrey
- “Spread love everywhere you go. Let no one ever come to you without leaving happier.” - Mother Teresa
- "In case no one told you today: You're beautiful. You're loved. You're needed. You're alive for a reason. You're stronger than you think. You're going to get through this. I'm glad you're alive. Don't give up."
- "Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “When we do the best we can, we never know what miracle is wrought in our life, or in the life of another.” – Helen Keller
- “Knowing what must be done does away with fear.” - Rosa Parks
- “Always remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.” —Christopher Robin
- “If you don’t like the road you’re walking, start paving another one.” - Dolly Parton
- “Confidence… thrives on honesty, on honor, on the sacredness of obligations, on faithful protection and on unselfish performance. Without them it cannot live.” —Franklin D. Roosevelt
- "I can to all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
- "Being happy is letting go of what slows you down." - Mike Falzone
- "Inhale love ... Exhale gratitude."
- "Compassion isn't about solutions. It's about giving all the love that you've got." - Cheryl Strayed
- “All the adversity I’ve had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me.... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.” —Walt Disney
- "We rise by lifting others" - Robert Ingersoll
- “We do not need magic to change the world, we carry all the power we need inside ourselves already: we have the power to imagine better.” - J.K. Rowling
- "I think the best role models for women are people who are fruitfully and confidently themselves, who bring light into the world." —Meryl Streep
- “Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength.” —Arnold Schwarzenegger
- “You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose. You’re on your own. And you know what you know. You are the guy who’ll decide where to go.” —Dr. Seuss
Excess Skin after Weight Loss?
Your Weight Loss Journey Continues With Slimpressions ShapewearLet's talk about a growing issue; lose, sagging excess skin after weight loss. You’ve skipped dessert, made healthy food choices and gone the extra mile…literally. Blood, sweat and tears may be the understatement of the year. Your weight loss journey has not been easy and you’ve lost a few stones along the way. We know losing weight is no small undertaking. #beenthere Congratulations! After the countless sacrifices you’ve made in order to lose weight, you should feel overjoyed right? Unfortunately, many women are not as happy as they thought they would be after shedding some pounds because they struggle with loose skin common after weight loss. Although sagging, excess skin after weight loss is common, it can be really deflating. According to the Huffington Post, excess skin is just one of the “5 Things No One Tells You About Losing Weight”. www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/12/09/weight-loss- no-one- tells-_n_6277682.html The struggle is real and it is one we know it all too well. Loose skin can be really embarrassing. That’s a big reason why we created Slimpressions , the best shapewear for excess skin (in our humble opinions). Let’s face it. Many women are not in a position to have excess skin removal surgery for a couple of reasons – plastic surgery can be pricey, it can be quite painful, recovery time is significant and typically it requires multiple surgeries to remove sagging skin from all of the problematic areas. There are certainly many perks to skin removal surgery and the advantages are clear. Done and done.
Why Slimpressions?Many women have found Slimpressions body slimmers to be their go-to sagging skin solution and a wonderful alternative to plastic surgery (or at least until they go under the knife). We like to say that Slimpressions is Real Shapewear for Real Women TM . Unlike the “special occasion” shaping brands on the market, Slimpressions was designed for women on their weight loss journey who desire an all-day solution to help them smooth out lumps and bumps. Slimpressions is more than simply shapewear though. Slimpressions is confidencewear TM . We designed our line of moderate slimming solutions to be comfortable enough for all day, every day wear. We believe women have the right to look and feel their best Monday through Sunday, not just on Saturday nights. What makes our designs so comfortable? We leverage a patented technology to create a seamless torso. Unlike many “cut and sew” garments that force every body type (regardless of any loose skin) into a consistent mold/pattern, our seamless designs conform to every body shape. So regardless if she’s an hourglass, pear, etc. Slimpressions works for her. In addition, our products are longer than most traditional shapewear styles. Slimpressions were designed to sit on the hips to work with a woman’s body to stay in place and minimize untimely roll-ups so common in other brands. Our product selector will help you find the product that's right for you. Make no mistake, Shapewear is a temporary, body shaping solution to tackle excess skin. There’s no question your silhouette will look slimmer and sleeker with Slimpressions body shapers. Who doesn’t want to look thinner instantly, after all? For us, it’s all about looking and feeling your best about yourself and enjoying the milestones along your weight loss journey. #support #thickandthin Blessings, Amy Pedersen Slimpressions’ Co-Founding Slimpressionista www.slimpressions.com
Dressing Room DramaFor years, shopping was a stressful and, sadly, a bit of an emotional chore rather than a source of pleasure as it was for all my skinny friends. Just the drama of going into a dressing room was awful. Like a roller coaster, my pants size has gone up and down (as has my weight) over the years. Add my height to that and you can imagine the dressing room drama I experienced trying to find something to wear. Half naked and feeling vulnerable in these unforgiving dressing rooms, I’d criticize myself for not being X or being way too Y. I no longer beat myself every time I enter a dressing room now and here’s why…I now know the problem is the fashion industry; not me. The reality is clothing is designed for a select few. Unlike celebs, most of us don’t have the luxury of tailored clothing customized just for us. As a new designer, I learned there was no universal sizing standard. Manufacturers have their own sizing and labeling systems. Typically, designers base their cuts on a traditional hourglass figure. And how many of us have those? A study of over 6,000 women conducted by researchers at North Carolina State University indicated only 8% of women have an hourglass shape. Eight percent! Yet most clothes are designed for these incredibly lucky ladies. Obviously, women come in a variety of shapes and sizes, regardless of their weight. There are many terms for the various body shapes - pear, apple, spoon, hourglass, oval, rectangle, diamond, well-endowed, etc. Of course, that’s just the beginning. Then there’s the height factor. Tall and petite women find it even more challenging to find apparel that fits. Yay us! So when faced with the decision on how to manufacture Slimpressions®, we considered all the options. We could have certainly taken the easier (and cheaper) path and created a cookie cutter, templated shapewear line featuring spandex pieces sewn together designed around an hourglass mannequin like so many other companies do. And we could have certainly chosen overseas factories known for their cheaper prices and, candidly, poorer quality like many others in the industry. However, we chose to leverage a high-end patented seamless technology to manufacture our confidencewearTM. Why? This approach allows Slimpressions to conform to every woman’s body type, regardless of their shape, helping them look slimmer and feel more confident. Made in North America, our designs comfortably sculpt a woman’s body to smooth out loose skin and give women a sleeker silhouette. We embraced moderate compression for every day wear instead of the heavy shapewear artillery (think old-school girdles and corsets) reserved for a few short hours on special occasions. We just value oxygen and blood flow too much for that! Knowing how the fashion industry works now, I’ve learned not to beat myself up when shopping for clothes anymore. Instead of blaming myself for not having a perfect body, I recognize the nuances of the industry. I now approach each shopping trip as a treasure hunt instead of thinking the problem was me. I go in with limited expectations and am pleasantly surprised when I find something that fits right. Further, I’m super loyal to the companies that “get me” (and my size) and have created great pieces that I feel really good wearing. By accepting who I am and the limitations of the fashion industry, I enjoy shopping again. With this insight, I hope you can too. Blessings and Positivity, Amy Blankenship Pedersen Co-Founder, Slimpressions For more positive messages, please join us here
Be Bold. Be Brave. 340lbs My Weight Loss Journey Begins Here at Slimpressions
#340lbsWeight loss begins now. I am 49, a mother of 3, an executive and weigh 340lbs. I was a former athlete. I was diagnosed with a Chiari Malformation and had brain surgery in 2006. I adopted 3 children, all siblings in 2008. I have had 3 more surgeries. I am spiritual, involved with church and volunteer when I can, love photography, yet … I weigh 340lbs. Family photos are fun. I am always the photographer (by choice). Vacations used to be fun, now I hate going to the beach or the pool and swimming was my sport. Now, let’s flip to work. I am confident, driven and great at what I do, yet … I weigh 340lbs drumroll please .... my insurance company does not have any surgical or non-surgical weight loss plans. I can't even take advantage of the nutritional programs or proceed to my referral at the bariatric facility nearby. Can you feel my tears running down my cheeks? Amy Pedersen, CEO of Slimpressions. I fell in love with her story and loved seeing the website. There is such a great group of people here … much like a family. Looking at the products, I thought, “Yeah right, how am I going to fit into these?” I wanted to order one online, but didn’t. What was I afraid of? What is the worst thing that could happen? It doesn’t fit and you send it back with their no hassle guarantee return policy. Then the emotions kick in, depression because you are too big yet … “you have such a beautiful face”, “you have a great heart”, “you are an amazing person” … YES BUT I AM FAT … I weigh 340lbs! Comfy Bralette. I took it home and tried it on and was so excited. It fit perfect. It was soft, comfortable, supported me in all the right places and gave me so much confidence. I was shocked … and yet I weigh 340lbs. Real shapewear for Real women! I get it. #Ibelieve I have very dear friend who has lost 180+ lbs. She has been such an inspiration to me personally and professionally. My family, friends, Amy and Slimpressions are behind me. What am I waiting for? So I started my diet 4/9/2016 because I am 340lbs. Not just because I failed my first physical ever and my doctor said I had to, but because I need this. I drove to my prayer group at church last night and as I sat in silence, tears just fell. One by one, like a child slowly turning on a faucet. Soon, I simply lost control of all my emotions and felt naked in my skin bearing my soul in silence to God as he said, “Be Bold. Be Brave.” I opened up to my group and shared my struggle. They prayed over me and I found continued strength through their healing words.
#strengthI don’t weigh 340lbs. Today I weigh 330lbs. I have a weight loss of 10lbs in 10 days. This is the first post (of many) you will see of my weight loss journey. My first weight loss goal is 50x50. 50lbs by age 50 which will be coming up at the end of September. Slimpressions is not just a company with products on their website. They care about OUR journey and are here to cheer us on. The journey can be weight loss, career driven, family extension, inner healing, or retirement. As a community we all support on another and what better place than to let Slimpressions into your life, like I did mine. #bebold #bebrave Please "LIKE THIS" or SHARE so I know you are out there supporting my weight loss journey. I will keep writing, posting and sending prayers and blessings your way. Dawn 04/19/2016 UPDATE : 11/2/16 Update: Had the Vertical Gastric Sleeve surgery 6/30/16 in Mexico with Dr Illan and have lost 64lbs so far. Difficult journey, but so worth it!
The Dr. Oz Show“Bat Wings”, the loose skin that can dangle from the upper arms, are problematic for many women. This can happen for a number of reasons:
- Loss of skin elasticity
- Loss of muscle mass
- Sun damage
- Weight loss or gain
- Bend at the waist
- Put your arms close to your side, bend your arms and start with your fists near your shoulders
- Push your arms back and twist your wrists up without letting your elbows drop
- Sit on chair
- Extend your legs straight out
- Putting all your weight on your hands, lift yourself off the chair
- Drop your bottom down in front of the chair until your arms are no more than 90 degrees